Archive for May 4th, 2010

An Unreasonable Percentage

The Irish Times – Letters

Madam, – Congratulations. At last you have published a letter (Fr Christopher Fox, April 24th) which refers to the fact that 3 per cent of child sexual abuse is perpetrated by clergy with the balance 97 per cent done by the rest of society. Perhaps we may now look forward to your treating this disdainful and abominable crime in a more objective and comprehensive manner. – Yours, etc,

JOHN ARRIGAN,

Newpark,

Portlaoise, Co Laois.

But this means that a priest, whose number makes up about 0.1% of the population, is, by my rough calculations, 28 times more likely to perpetrate child abuse than the remaining 99.9% of the population.

Of course there are ‘good’ (I am setting the bar for ‘good’ very low here by defining it as ‘non-abusing’) priests who do not deserve to be lumped in with the criminals who made up their number, but if I were one, I wouldn’t be citing figures such as these as potential evidence of my trustworthiness.


I on Twitter

May 2010
M T W T F S S
« Apr   Jun »
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31